Thursday, November 27, 2014

Giving thanks...even AFTER the turkey is gone

So, I'm assuming that you've all pretty much finished your thanksgiving. The turkey is gone. I bet most of you had your meal with family. Some of you had it with friends. And that's great. We all had the chance to reflect over what we've received this year and just in life. But I just want to take a moment and ask a question. More specifically, I want you to ask yourself a question. Have you been thankful all year? I mean, really? Well, I just wanted to put a bit of perspective on this holiday season. I was recently reading an article by Charles F. Stanley from InTouch magazine. It was talking about this very topic! Quite frankly, I like the way he put it. Basically, we get so caught up asking God for things that we don't take half as much time to  thank Him for what He's already given us. In fact, sometimes we're so caught up in what  we want that we fail to even be  aware of what God's blessed us with. It's human selfishness, really. We live in such a privileged country (which...by the way, is the reason we celebrate Thanksgiving. So we can give thanks for this country and everything else) that we often forget the core values of life we should be thankful for. The things that we so often take for granted because this country is so used to having it there for them. I know how hard it is to be thankful when there's always those things that we want and feel like are due to us. When, in reality,  nothing is due to us. Because of the fact that Jesus died on the cross for us, we have so much more than we deserve. And really, we shouldn't forget that. People get so caught up in hanging out with family and friends (which isn't bad), that we tend to only be thankful for those things. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, have that tankful attitude all year. Think, "What would happen if you wake up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?" Love y'all and stay thankful! :) ~KJ

1 comment: